Tuesday 28 August 2012

Settling into the daily routine

Hey everyone. Its been a crazy few days for me. My roommate Julia and I are all settled in at the Daley's house, and everything is going really well with them. They are a great family. I have a feeling my parents are going to be really annoyed with me when I come home, begging them to adopt a Yorky like Coco, which is the dog that the Daley's have. I'll post a picture of her soon.

See the London Eye in the distance???
The Irish band that was playing in O'Neils on Sunday.
On Sunday, our program director Bob Cowser invited the whole group up to his flat in Primrose Hill. It was our first experience on the tube, which I've decided is the greatest form of travel within any city. It's amazing. He served beer, wine, and cheese and crackers. It was really nice to start to get to know everyone. After we ate and drank everything in Bob's fridge, he took us up to the hill, which has a beautiful view of the entire city. Check out this picture. It was a beautiful day to be outside. On Sunday night, a bunch of us met up at a pub in Muswell Hill called O'Neils, which used to be a church (a little ironic, no?)

Then, on Monday, we all went in to 81 Gower Street, which is where we will be taking classes. After some paperwork and a little orientationing ( I know, I just made up a word), we were given a tour of the Bloomsbury area, which includes Russell Square and The British Museum. I'm really excited that we are literally a stones throw away from one of the best museums in the world!

Today, we did some more paperwork, and met all of our professors. I'm taking some really interesting classes. They include a history class (Britain in the 20th Century), an art history class (Art and Architecture in Great Britain), a film class (World Cinema), and the class that the whole group is required to take called Encountering London. We came back to East Finchley this afternoon, and Julia and I went to the post office to buy stamps, so get ready for some postcards everyone! Lorraine, Mark, Julia and I had our first family dinner tonight. They made a nice salad, corn on the cob, and cheeseburgers. Some nice, homestyle, American food. It was really good.

Tomorrow, is the first day of school. I have all my notebooks ready to go. Now that I am all moved in and have adjusted to life in London, I'm really excited for school to start. I'll check in again later this week!

Here is a quote from Tina Fey, that doesn't really have anything to do with school, but it is still funny:

A Harvard Medical School study has determined that rectal thermometers are still the best way to tell a baby's temperature. Plus, it really teaches the baby who's boss.

Goodbye, until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment