Monday 3 December 2012

Edinburgh!

Hey! Hope you all had a great weekend! Leslie and I got back from Edinburgh late last night. We had a great time!

Me outside the castle
Our train left Saturday morning at 8 AM, which is very early in my opinion. We were leaving from Kings Cross, so naturally we visited Platform 9 and three quarters again! Leslie brought her helmet camera with her on our trip, and she is making a video similar to the one she made for Berlin, so I will post that when it's finished. It's going to be very funny. Anyways, the train ride was beautiful, we went right along the east coast of England. Absolutely gorgeous. We got to Edinburgh around 12:30, and Leslie and I made our way to our HOTEL. I posted that in caps because it has been a very long time since we have stayed in one of those. It was glorious. We dropped off our stuff and went to grab a bite to eat. Then, we made our way back into town. We didn't get the memo that it gets dark there at like 4 PM, so we were a little baffled at first. Anyways, we walked around Old Town for a while, and made our way to Edinburgh castle, where we watched the sunset. It was incredible. Here are some pics:
Leslie and I at the castle. So pretty!

View of the city from the castle!

Then, we both wanted to find the famous Elephant House, which is where J.K Rowling wrote the early versions of Harry Potter. We were wandering, and decided to ask a doorman at a hotel called the Balmoral. This was the hotel where she finished the last book! Very cool! Here is a picture of me outside the Elephant House. We went in, and sat and had a massive pot of tea. While we were sitting, we looked out the window, and it looks straight out to the castle. Leslie smartly pointed out how similar the castle looks to Hogwarts. It was so cool. We were very excited. Anyways, after that, we walked around a little more, and then went back to our hotel because we were very tired.

On Sunday, we woke up, got breakfast, and checked out of our hotel. We got on a bus to take us to Arthur's seat. It took us 35 minutes to walk to the top, and this was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. It seemed a bit unreal, to be honest. Here are a bunch of pictures. Also, Leslie and I made it our mission to plank at the top, which was a success.

After our hike, we made our way back to the castle, because we didn't get to go inside on Saturday. It was so cool! Here is a picture of Leslie with her head in one of the big cannons! The castle was blowing our minds a little because it looked like Hogwarts on the inside also. We were in heaven. After that, we went to do a little souvenir shopping. Leslie bought some mini bagpipes, one for her brother, and two for Liz. I bought a scarf for myself, my sister, and my mom. Nothing for you dad. I didn't think you would want a kilt, which is what I would have bought you. Then, we grabbed some food, and hopped on the train home.
Best. Day. EVER

On the way up to Arthur's seat!

My favourite picture from the trip. At the top of Arthur's seat.

It's business as usual for this week, except that I am having dinner with Jen tonight. Then tomorrow, is my birthday! I'll post again on Wednesday to tell you all about the big 2-1!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is a quote from J.K Rowling:
Leslie in the cannon!
It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.

See yah soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment