Sunday 16 September 2012

Sorry, sorry, sorry!

Hey, all! I'm so sorry I haven't blogged in almost a week! But, not to fear, I am here. That rhymed haha. Anyways, the reason I've been M.I.A for most of the week is because nothing really exciting happened until Art class on Thursday. We went to the British Museum first, and we got to go to a very special room called the Print Room, which is only open to the people who work there, and students. We saw some of the original drawings done by famous painters! We saw some of Da Vinci's early sketches for his David statue, and some pretty cool other ones that I can't remember right now. From there, we went to the Coliseum theatre, which is the oldest opera house in London. We had a tour guide take us around and show us backstage. We also got to go sit in the royal box, and I was even allowed to sit in the Queen's chair! That was pretty cool!

On Friday, the whole group got on the bus to go on our weekend trip to Stonehenge, Salisbury, and Bath. We drove about 2 hours southwest, and went to Stonehenge first.

Me saying, "Wad up with that?"

Leslie and I jumping for joy. Alex (left) looks amused
To say that I don't understand Stonehenge is an understatement. Don't get me wrong, it is truly spectacular (stealing a line from my mom), but I still can't get how they got those rocks there. Me and Mike kept saying that it was aliens, but nobody wanted to seem to jump on that bandwagon. Here are some pics!

Next to Stonehenge, there is a lot of farm land. I mean, a lot. So, when we were done looking at the rocks, me and Liz hopped a fence and started walking around. There were thousands of sheep everywhere, and Liz and I were trying to get close to them, but every time we did, they ran away. Oh well, I hope it wasn't something I said.

View from the top of the castle!

"The pit of despair"-Name the reference!

Following that, we got on the bus and drove another 30 minutes to see a castle called Old Serum. This was so amazing! The castle sits on a hilltop, and was built to prevent enemies from reaching it. The views were absolutely amazing! We walked around the castle grounds for a while, and took it all in. So far, I am loving the English countryside. It's one of those things that if you go, you'll get it. Trust me. Here are a few pictures.

Salisbury Cathedral

Welcome to Hogwarts!
From there, we drove to Salisbury. This town is so quaint and gorgeous. I've been there before with my family, but I totally forgot how cool it is. A bunch of us went to an amazing fish n' chips spot. It's a good thing I joined a gym earlier this week, or else I would be in big trouble. We walked around for a little while, and then we were given a tour of the Cathedral. This place is amazing. When you are walking through the courtyard, it feels like you are walking through Hogwarts, which is an added bonus for me. Anyways, this cathedral has the Magna Carta, and tons of beautiful stain-glass windows. Here is a snippet.

From there, we drove further into the city of Bath. Talk about gorgeous. There are not enough pictures to show you all how incredibly beautiful this city is. I can't describe it. Well, we arrived, and we stayed at a YMCA, which was my first experience at a hostel. It was perfectly fine, as we were in the room for less than 12 hours total. As soon as we dropped our stuff off, me Julia and Naeem went to explore the town. We found some great places to eat and go out that night. We got ready, and then a bunch of us took Bath by storm.

On Saturday, we were given a walking tour of the city. While we were on this tour, we discovered that there were a lot of people dressed very strangely, as if they were right out of the Victorian era. Well, wouldn't you know it, there was a Jane Austen festival in town. She wrote some of her novels there, so every year, the city has a festival. It was so cool to see these people walking around everywhere we went. After the walking tour, we were given the afternoon to continue to explore the city, and obviously, go see the Roman Bathes. Me, Julia and Naeem went for lunch, and then went to the Bathes.

Bath Abbey in the background, Bathes down below
I'm quite the rebel. The sign said no!
This place is an amazing site. You can't believe how well preserved these bathes are. The whole place is breathtaking. We walked around and saw the different bathes, one cold and one hot spring. It was awesome! I can't tell you in words, so again, pictures. After the bathes, we went to the Fashion museum, which was pretty cool. They had an area where you could dress up Victorian style, so I helped Julia put a corset and dress on, and Naeem got all decked out. It was pretty funny.

After all that in two days, we took our four hour bus ride home. This was good, because I had a lot of time to read my book. It's called Unbroken, and its written by the author who wrote Seabiscuit. It's an amazing story, I recommend it to anyone. Anyways, today, I slept, and did some homework, and we have family dinner soon, so I'm signing off.

Here is a quote from my favourite movie, the Lion King:

Timon: Hakuna Matata. It means, "no worries!"

No comments:

Post a Comment