Monday 15 October 2012

Berlin and Stockholm!

Guten tag (Hello in German), HallĂ„ (Hello in Swedish)!!!!!!!! I made it back to London safe and sound yesterday, but I never got to post about Berlin and Sweden. 

Berlin was a little boring for me. Can you believe that an amazing city like Berlin is boring? Well, after being there nearly two weeks earlier, it was a little repetitive, but still incredible. We saw a lot of the stuff that me, Liz, Alex, and Leslie saw on our study tour, and we ate like kings yet again. The rest of the group seemed to like Berlin more than Paris, especially Mike, who adopted a pretty good German accent haha.

After our Easy Jet experience from Paris to Berlin, it was nice to fly on a real airline like Lufthansa. The flight was half empty, and I had an entire row to myself! As we came into our descent into Stockholm, the sun was setting and we were flying right over the Swedish countryside, which was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. It was one of the best flying experiences I had ever had. When we landed, we went to our hostel, which was one of the coolest things ever: IT WAS ON A BOAT! Now, the boat was docked, but it was still amazing. I'm not joking about this. You may think that this was silly, but it really was awesome. 

On Friday, we all took a bus tour of Stockholm because we didn't really know what cool things there were to see in the city. Our first stop was at the royal palace, which was beautiful. I promise I will post some pictures on Facebook as soon as I have time! Funny enough, while we were at the palace, we were right in the middle of the changing of the guard, which was really cool! After the palace, we went to the Nordic Museum, which is basically a museum of Swedish culture. But, in the lobby, the museum was hosting something called the Chocolate Festival. Again, THIS IS NOT A JOKE! There were hundreds of people and hundreds of booths where you could try free samples of a ton of different kinds of chocolate. This was probably the greatest thing ever! 

Friday night, Leslie and Liz showed up. They spent the week in Falun, which is where Leslie's family is from. On Saturday, I walked around the city by myself for a while, which was nice. I met up with Leslie and Liz for a bit, and Leslie and I spent a while looking at all the ski equipment in the sporting goods stores. It really made me want to go skiing! I know I'm going to miss it this year, especially if it doesn't snow in Collingwood this winter. Saturday night we all went out for a nice dinner at a restaurant on a boat. I'm assuming by now that you are discovering the theme of Stockholm. I ate Reindeer. For the last time, THIS IS NOT A JOKE! It was soooooo good! Then, we went back to the hostel to get ready to go out.

Sunday's travelling was pretty easy, other than the fact that the branch of the underground that we need to take to get back to our house was closed, so we had to take the bus. But otherwise, everything went really smoothly. This week is going to be very busy, because I'm going to go to the gym everyday to work off all the deliciously, horribly bad for you food I ate over the break, and also because I have a few assignments due. Besides that, life is treating me well!

Hope everyone is enjoying life! Here is a quote on traveling:

Henry David Thoreau: Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves 

No comments:

Post a Comment