Sunday 21 October 2012

Living the true English life

Hey everyone! Hope you all enjoyed the week. I've been very busy with schoolwork (blahhhhh). It's really hard for our teachers because they have to condense a 14 week semester into 10 weeks because we have 4 weeks for an internship at the end of the "semester", so the work has been piled on a bit. But, I can handle it. Anyways, this week was pretty uneventful, except for Friday. We took a field trip for the day to Oxford and Stratford. This was a ton of fun! We took a tour of Oxford, which is an amazing college town. The buildings are so old, but the city is full of young people. It's a little odd. And for all the loyal Harry Potter fans out there, this is where they shot some of the scenes from the first film. We saw where they shot scenes in the infirmary, and this is also the building where they got the inspiration for the Great Hall. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see that (boo!). Leslie and I were very disappointed. But, after that, we had some time to wander, so I wandered into the school bookstore, and bought some Oxford gear. Now, whenever I go somewhere, I can tell people I went to Oxford, and I wouldn't be lying. I really went there. Get it? Haha. After Oxford, we got on the bus and rode an hour to Stratford. For those who don't know, Stratford is the birthplace and resting place of Shakespeare. He was that guy who wrote some of those plays and stuff. Honestly, I had never heard of him before going there (HINT: SARCASM). What was that one play he wrote that was really famous? Romeo and Ethel the Pirate's Daughter? Name the movie reference in the comments section! Anyways, we saw the house he was born in, which is pretty much still standing. Then we walked through town a little, and made our way to the church where he is buried, but we couldn't go inside (bummer). Then, we went to grab dinner, and then went to see an adaptation of Romeo and Ethel the Pirate's Daughter (a.k.a Juliet) at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford. It was really sad because the adaptation was of an old married couple, and the character of Juliet is suffering from a stroke and is slowly dying. I have to admit, I did fall asleep through 10 minutes of it (thanks Mike for not waking me up), but it was good. The 2 actors who played Romeo and Juliet were very good. I recognized the woman who played Juliet, and when I researched her, I discovered that she was in a Harry Potter movie. I said to Leslie that I have an amazing HP Radar haha. She played the character Mrs. Figg in the 5th movie. She helps Harry escape the Dementors that attack him and Dudley in the alley near Privet drive. I know, I'm a dork. I promise I will stop. But, it really is hard to escape the madness of Harry Potter when people in England love it as much as I do. After the play, we made our way back to London, and went to bed. On Saturday, I went to Camden Town, which is a very hippity-hoppity neighborhood in London. I had to buy some new jeans, and then I went to Muswell Hill, and got a lot of work done. Last night, Julia, Audrey, Naeem and myself went to grab a drink at a pub, but it was pouring rain, and a bit of a miserable night because of it. But, today, I slept until 11:30, which was awesome. I'm currently back in Muswell Hill at the Starbucks I was at yesterday doing more homework. I'm almost done, which is why I took a break to talk to you nice folks. Anyways, that's all for now. Going to go back to work so that I can watch my beloved Bills tonight!

Here is a quote from one of Shakespeare's Sonnets, 116:
Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds.

Cheers guvnor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment